SeniorCare offers health and wellness programs that promote healthy aging and disease prevention among older adults. These programs empower people to take an active role in managing their health for more positive outcomes. To learn about our next scheduled seminar, or to volunteer as a seminar leader, please contact our Gloucester office.
Healthy Eating for Successful Living in Older Adults™
- For seniors who want to learn more about nutrition and how lifestyle changes can promote better health and healthy aging.
- Goal setting, problem solving, group support, nutrition education, and self-assessment and management of dietary patterns.
- Based on USDA MyPyramid™.
- Taught by trained peer leaders with support of a nutritionist or registered dietitian.
- Six consecutive 2 ½-hour sessions followed by a Healthy Eating™ restaurant outing one month after the sixth session.
My Life, My Health
- Six-week Chronic Disease Self Management course
- Explores healthy ways to live with a physical or mental condition
- Varied topics plus problem solving and action planning
- Workbook provided to all participants
“My Life, My Health” is a six-session seminar program that teaches tips and techniques for the effective self-management of chronic disease. Each session focuses on a different aspect of self-care techniques that individuals can use to manage a chronic illness. Family members are welcome, too.
Participants will each receive a copy of “Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions,” a guide developed by the Stanford University Patient Education Research Center.
A Matter of Balance
- Eight session fall prevention program
- Four weeks, two sessions per week
- Learn to reduce risk factors, and increase activity, strength and balance
“A Matter of Balance” is a falls prevention program that acknowledges the risk of falling, but emphasizes practical coping strategies to reduce this concern. Trained facilitators conduct eight 2-hour sessions designed for groups of 10-12 participants. During the class, participants learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable, and set realistic goals for increasing activity. They also find ways to change the environment to reduce fall risk factors and learn simple exercises to increase strength, balance and healthy aging.
Family Caregiver Support
- You care for an adult aged 60 or over
- You care for an adult of any age with Alzheimer’s
- You are 55 or older and caring for a grandchild or young relative under the age of 18, or a disabled person between 18-59.
- Access assistance to caregivers to facilitate obtaining services and resources available within their communities
- Counseling for caregivers to assist them in making decisions, assessing the merits of various options, and solving problems related to their caregiver roles
- Support groups with a focus on peer support, education and training to reduce stress and develop coping skills
- Provide community presentations on relevant caregiver issues (for example caring for an Alzheimer’s loved one)
Powerful Tools for Caregivers
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a six week, evidence-based class in which caregivers develop self-care skills, learn how to communicate their needs to family members and to health care or service providers; learn how to better manage challenging situations, and make tough care giving decisions.
The Savvy Caregiver
This six week program is based on the notion that family members who become caregivers to someone with any type of dementia assume a role for which they are unprepared and untrained.
Family caregivers are faced with vast amounts of stress. Not only does one have to manage the daily life of keeping the person safe and secure, but one has to deal with their own feelings of sadness and loss. For many caregivers, they also take on added responsibilities within the family and outside of it. For the dementia caregiver, the potential perils of the situation increase. These caregivers are; twice as likely to have health and mental health problems; two-and-a-half times as likely to be taking medications for their nerves; only half as likely to seek medical help for their problems; more likely to feel cut off from their family and friends; and more likely to be pinched financially.
Seniors Out & About —
An LGBT Social Gathering
Senior Out and About is a social gathering for LGBT people who are 60 years and older and their friends and family. The Out & About Volunteer Committee will organize and plan fun and interesting events that are safe and comfortable for the North Shore and Cape Ann LGBT seniors throughout the year. These events are great way to network with other aging LGBT people and they offer the opportunity to learn more about programs and services that support aging with dignity. If you have an idea for a fun event call SeniorCare’s Marketing office at 978-281-1750.
The Kiosk for Living Well
The Kiosk for Living Well is a friendly place on the North Shore of Massachusetts where you can take advantage of virtual technologies, trained advisers, and proven techniques for considering ways to live your life as fully and as well as you wish. The Kiosks are specially designed to offer stimulating and fun experiences that can help people solve some of the problems that may be making it more difficult to manage daily life routines.
At a Kiosk for Living Well you can meet great people and participate in a variety of activities! You’ll have the opportunity to take advantage of the tools, the space, the resources, and the trained advisers, including Options Counselors, RN wellness checkups, and Employment Counselors to help guide you any number of areas, including:
- Managing your health more effectively
- Using state-of-the art virtual and communications technology
- Developing problem-solving strategies that make sense to you
- Connecting to places and people you want to see
- Exploring new ideas
- Identifying real choices and making decisions
- Having fun
Whether it’s playing an online game or developing options around health concerns the choices are always going to be up to the consumer. The tools are in your hands!
Come in and have some fun!